Sunday, May 11, 2008

Naturopaths

Here is a good story about naturapaths in general, and one in particular who
has come to "see the celiac light".

Anne Barfield
www.chickenparadise.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Celiac/Coeliac Wheat/Gluten-Free List

I missed Emerisle's question about celiac savvy MDs in Seattle. His one
respondant is correct. NDs (naturopathic physicians) are generally more
well versed in the issues of celiac disease than conventional MDs. My
husband & I see Katie Data ND in Fife, WA. She's great.

I used to see Dr. Patrick Donovan ND in Seattle. He's very good, but his
bedside manner could use some refinement. Almost any ND in western
Washington would be very helpful as most were trained at Bastyre University,
a celaic savvy medical school in Seattle.

But, for MDs in western Washington, I'm most familiar with Thomas Dorman MD,
in Federal Way. He is very, VERY knowledgeable in celiac disease. I went
to work for him after he helped me so much with chronic health problems I'd
been suffering for years. He really knows his onions when it comes to
celiac disease & all sorts of other chronic illnesses. He's a holistic MD,
who specializes in nutritional medicine & helping the chronically ill who've
dropped out of conventional medicine for lack of results.

In our area Dr.
Dorman is one of those doctors of last resort. His treatments get results
when no one else's can. What's funny about my relationship with Dr. Dorman,
is that while I worked for him some years ago, he had a more limited
understanding of celiac disease. He & I had a small conflict when it came
to celiac disease. I believed it was more prevalent & important than he
acknowledged. He often couseled me to back off the gluten issue, because he
didn't want to turn into a "gluten ghuru" like Dr. Mercola.

Before I left
his employ, I introduced him to Dr. Fine in Dallas, TX. After getting
acquainted with Dr. Fine's tests, Dr. Dorman began ordering all his
chronically ill patients to get tested for celiac disease. After pursueing
this course for several years, he found that 80% of his chronically ill
patients came up positive for gluten sensitivity w/ malabsorption (Dr.
Fine's equivalent diagnostic term for celiac disease). And every single one
of these patients who went GF, experienced significant improvements in their
health. He's now a big proponent of the GF diet for almost every
chronically ill person.

He told me earlier this year that before seeing so
many of his patients improve through the GF diet, he didn't know how "huge"
celiac disease really is. Then he offered me my old job back! HA! Talk
about validation! (Dr. Dorman is nearing retirement, so if anyone wants to
see him, I'd advise haste. Last I heard, he is training a young MD to take
over his practice.)

Valerie, RN in Tacoma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home