Sunday, May 11, 2008

Buttermilk Biscuits from Denise Cleveland

I've been on a search for a really good biscuit since my family went GF--to no avail it seemed.  I had begun making pancakes and waffles with 'real' buttermilk and they were coming out very well--so I figured I should look for a buttermilk biscuit recipe.  I went on the food network website and found several.  I of course tried the one with the most moisture content and sweetness-always good combos. I've modified it just a tad--because it was too moist!  So, here is the recipe:

 

2 cups gf flour (I use 2 parts sorghum to 1 part potato starch.)

1 1/2 t. baking powder

1 1/2 t. baking soda

1 t. xanthan gum

1/2 t. salt

2 T. sugar

1/4 cup butter, room temp

1/3 c. cream

1 c. buttermilk

 

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix dry ingredients.  Cut in butter until the mixture is crumbly.  Add cream and buttermilk.  (You might want to add up to 2 more tablespoons or so of buttermilk depending on your flour mix.  You'll want it moist but holding it's shape.)  Stir all together well.  Using an ice cream scoop or a large spoon, scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet.  Bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown.

 

Just made these this morning and they came out really good!  You should be able to use this same recipe as a dumpling.  (A dumpling is basically a biscuit anyway.)  Just reduce or take out the sugar and add some herbs, etc.  If anyone tries it I'd like to hear how it works out!  I've modified this recipe enough that I believe it could be reprinted.

 

Denise C.

 

 

1 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger y said...

Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to try it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home