Sunday, May 11, 2008

CELIAC RESTAURANT SUGGESTONS-handout

 

 

CELIAC RESTAURANT SUGGESTONS

 

Please help me select items from your menu that are safe for me to eat.  I am a celiac, which is a medically diagnosed disease.  My body cannot tolerate any gluten from wheat, barley, oats or rye.    Even a crumb or a speck from these grains can make me ill.  Gluten is toxic to my intestines.

 

Also, any food prepared for me must not come in contact with other food containing wheat, oats, rye or barley.  There are certain cooking items that contain them, like  soy sauce, some marinades  and  commercially prepared broth.

 

Please do not put croutons on or near my salad, or bread crumbs on my food.

 

I CANNOT EAT                     INSTEAD, I EAT

 

Bread                                       Rice

Pasta                                        Potatoes

Croutons                                  Corn meal

Wheat starch               

Flour tortillas                           

Sauces made with flour Sauces made with cornstarch

Soy sauce                                

Malt or malt flavoring

 

Modified Food starch               Corn starch

Commercial salad dressings      Fresh, with wine vinegar

Processed cheese                     Pure cheeses

HVP, MSG                              Most sour cream, cream cheese

 Malt vinegar                           Other pure vinegars, unflavored                                     

                                

 

I CAN EAT many foods, including all fresh unprocessed fruits, vegetables, salads, meats, eggs, seafood, dairy, nuts, rice, corn and potatoes, providing they are not cooked on a grill or in a fryer containing residue of wheat products.  (Please cook in a separate pan or wipe the grill.)  Foods can be flavored with any fresh spices, herbs, garlic, shallots, onions, and wine, but not products containing wheat.  I can have chocolate, coffee, and wine. Please watch for problems with soup stocks or processed flavorings.

 

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home