Sunday, May 11, 2008

Chicken jambalaya

Joe Barfield
The Joe Barfield Group
Joe@JoeBarfield.com
www.SanAntonioVintageHomes.com
Specializing in Homes of History and Character

-----Original Message-----
From: Anne Barfield [mailto:annebarfield@satx.rr.com]
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 11:19 AM
To: Joe Barfield; Billy Neel; Kelly paolini; Liza Bernstein
Cc: Papa Joe Barfield
Subject: FW: My best chicken jambalaya

This sounds pretty tasty, after all that intro.... I will try this with
olive oil, as I don't keep coconut oil handy. Also, I think it might
need
some okra! But everyone has different ideas.
From: Celiac/Coeliac Wheat/Gluten-Free List
Poster: Valerie WELLS <valleriewells@MSN.COM>

My best chicken jambalaya, yet. Jambalaya making is an art. In the
little
town of Gonzales, Louisiana, "Jambalaya Capital of the World" where I
grew
up, the locals work all their lives to perfect their own jambalaya
recipe(s). These recipes are closely guarded family secrets. There's a
cook-off every summer at the "Jambalaya Festival." The winner is
crowned
Jambalaya King or Queen for the year and is priviledged to be the
official
jambalaya cook for all the town's official functions. I've been working
on
my own recipe for about ... well never mind how long!

I hope you'll enjoy my latest version of chicken jambalaya. It will
likely
be my favorite for a while. I love it for it's flavor and simplicity.
The
dark thigh meat browns nicely & inhances the flavor.

The pros cook jamabalaya in a huge iron caldron over an open flame. I
cook
it on the stove top in a cast iron Dutch oven that holds about 5 quarts.
(Size 8.) This recipe can be doubled in this size pot. (My Dutch oven
is
NOT the camping kind with little legs.)

~Valerie in Tacoma

1 tablespoon coconut oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1 inch chunks (chicken
breast
meat is too dry)
1/2 onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup Asian type short grain brown rice (I use Tsuru Mai.)
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (I use S & W.)
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat oil in heavy flame proof dutch
oven.
Add chopped chicken & onions. Stir constantly over medium heat until
onions
are wilted. Stir in celery & garlic. Continue stirring & scraping
bottom
of pot until vegetables & chicken begin to brown. Stir in rice & stir a
minute or two more so that some of the grains become opaque. Add
remaining
tomatoes & water, salt & pepper. Bring to boil & scrape bottom of pot
once
more. (The brown stuff stuck to the bottom of the pot is what gives the
characteristic flavor to this jambalaya.) Cover tightly & bake in oven
for
45 minutes. Allow to sit 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Serves 4.

*Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the Celiac
List*
*******
To unsubscribe, email:
mailto:CELIAC-unsubscribe-request@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG
*******

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home